Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Worst Type of Christian

Believe me, I understand the weight that a statement like this carries. I understand that it is not my place to define The Worst Type of Christian. I came across a blog while searching for Louie Giglio's talk on Laminin some time ago and was reminded of it last night as my brother and I discussed Holiness, The Gospel and what we perceive to be a lack of concern, effort or understanding of Christ's expectation of us in the American Church.

Since we have these promises(6:14-18) dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates the body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. - 2 Corinthians 7:1

Is this calling(and countless others throughout scripture) to live lives that are noticeably different from those of non-Christians reserved for pastors alone? Church Leadership? What contaminates the body and spirit? Where is the line? Is there a list? Who sets the bar? If you think these questions are out of line, or choose to ignore them because something y0u enjoy doing might be on "the list", let me encourage you to read on with an open mind and spirit.

The wife and I had a great time at the concert last night. We saw Chris
Tomlin and Matt Redman, two popular Christian singers along with Louie Giglio who gave a short sermon midway through the concert.The Concert was unbelievable and lasted over 3 hours. After a life in which I have seen everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Elton John to Def Lepard in concert, this was
my first ever Christian concert. It was probably the best concert I have ever
seen in person.The speaker, Louie Giglio, was also mind-blowing. His talk
centered on our place in the universe and just how small we are in the grand
scheme of things.

I am a Christian but the worst type. I don't go to church nearly enough, I barely read my Bible, I pray only when I need something and I do not go out of my way to tell anyone about my Christian beliefs.


He goes on to share that he was blown away by Louie Giglio's explanation of Laminin. The bold line stood out to me because unfortunately, it sounded familiar. How many days of our life are we anything but what he describes as 'the worst kind of Christian?' There is no mention of movie ratings, alcohol, language, sex, idols or the many addictions and afflictions that typically make "the list". How does he describe himself, the worst type of Christian? Allow me to translate:

He lacks fellowship with other believers, he neglects God's Holy Word and in the last line he confesses the sins of prayerlessness and indifference.

WOW! This week, I will unpack each of those on this blog. I hope you will come back and join in the discussion!

0 comments: